May I recommend you browse Trac and take a look at the pending tickets
regarding aggregation?

This query should give you enough food for thought: http://goo.gl/vvraU

It is my understanding that Anssi Kääriäinen is working on an ORM refactor,
so speaking to him seems fundamental if you really want to move forward
with this, even with the imminent deadline. Some of the tickets you'll find
in that query may even have patches, but with the ongoing refactoring it
seems as if they're shooting at a moving target.

Cheers.
AT