While I share some of Andrew's concerns, I do think this is still a
fairly good topic for GSoC.

However, I think the only way it could happen would be if Nate wants
to mentor the project; Nate, can you mentor? If so, you should hook up
with Andrew and make sure you apply to be a mentor so we can have you
added before the review process.

Jacob