On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Marc Tamlyn <marc.tam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In terms of non-core backends (and I include Oracle in this) - my
> preferred option would not be to include them all in core Django, but to
> collate them in and manage them under the Django project - i.e.
> github.com/django/django-mssql. These are "looked after" by the Django
> project to ensure that there is one place to find that code base, but are
> externally maintained. This is effectively similar to the way that
> localflavor is progressing, although we should wait and see how that plays
> out first - there are some teething issues there at the moment.

Django-mssql can be installed with pip and the project's pages (code, docs,
etc) are the first several hits on the popular search engines. Moving a
repo for the sake of moving it is a non starter for django-mssql. I'm
guessing that most of the other 3rd party database backends would object as
well, especially those not currently hosted on github. Relocating a repo is
disruptive to the developer(s) and also the users. I've gone through this
once when I moved the project from google code to bitbucket, which had the
huge benefit of making it easier and more enjoyable for me to work on the
project.

The disruption associated with relocating the project in to the core would
at least be balanced by many benefits. Just to name a few, easier test
integration, backend's issues in trac, no more django version/feature
checking in the backend, and more eyes watching commits (even if no one
else works on the backend). There is also the potential of easily fixing
the poorly named flags on DatabaseFeature.

Regards,
Michael Manfre