This seems like a reasonable change. I don't love the fact that the
contrib.auth built in forms quasi support custom user models, as it leads
to a less clear delineation about what parts of contrib.auth are tightly
coupled auth the default User model.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/auth/customizing/#custom-users-and-the-built-in-auth-forms

This doesn't warrant a backport for 1.6 though - as it is currently easy to
override this in your own form, and 1.6 is in feature-freeze beta.

-Preston