Hi Ram,

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 12:34:03 PM UTC+2, Ram Rachum wrote:

> Florian, I'm not sure that you read my message carefully enough. I'm *not
> *proposing to reduce the time that PBKDF2  takes to hash.

By replacing the password with a hash before running it through PBKDF2 you
are reducing that time for every password longer than the hash… And given
the way PBKDF2 works you'll reduce it by quite a bit (note that all of this
only applies to passwords longer than the hash, so it's probably pretty
academical). Either way, we'd at least need a new hasher class since it
would be backwards incompatible. Independent of that we'd have to evaluate
if pre-hashing the password could make  PBKDF2 less secure (probably not to
likely, but who knows).

Florian