Hi folks,

I recently released an alternative implementation of Django's existing
class based views.  The intention was to mirror the *exact* same set of
functionality that we currently provide, but simplify the implementation
and API.  It's nothing cleverer or grander than a clean re-write, but the
end result is *significantly* less complex.  The class hierarchy is
trivial, the API is much smaller, and the flow control is much more obvious.

I won't go into any more here, as there's plenty of detail in the
documentation:

http://django-vanilla-views.org

There's also useful context in the related blog post, here:

http://dabapps.com/blog/fixing-djangos-generic-class-based-views/

The difficult thing here really is that there's no obvious approach to
introducing something like this in a backwards compatible way.

It might be that we could take an incremental approach using the standard
deprecation process, but given the nature of the GCBVs it'd likely be
pretty awkward.
There might be some bits of deprecation process we simply wouldn't be able
to deal with in any sensible way, and we'd certainly end up with a
seriously gnarly implementation during the deprecation period.

I'd be interested in getting some opinions from folks on the following:

* If a simpler GCBV implementation along the lines of django-vanilla-views
is something we think we should working towards.
* What approaches we might be able to take to dealing with backwards
compatibility if we did want to do so.

Thanks for your time.

  Tom

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/fe19ddbc-a4d4-4dc0-a241-df45f6e73c96%40googlegroups.com.