I've left some comments on the PR - the overall approach is fine, and I'm
in favour of things like removing quote_parameter and adding params to the
deferred_sql entries - but there's a few stylistic questions and I'm
worried why you've removed the maximum index name length stuff.

As for not being able to add autoincrement to an existing column - I'd say
it's fine for you to state it's not supported and just raise a hard error
when it happens. The situation is very rare and I doubt a lot of people
will run into it.

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uprQZ%3DSxpocsgqVVPzS8r9LZDPQSQR7jZ9sgnCmNvqPNA%40mail.gmail.com.