I want to follow up on the issue of a Python 3 connector for MySQL.

Oracle has developed an open source Python driver for
MySQL<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-python/en/index.html>
:

   - PEP 249-compliant
   - pure Python
   - supports Python 3
   - very simple installation:
   pip install mysql-connector
   - better support for asyncio than a C
driver<https://www.devbliss.com/en/reviving-the-snake/>
   - stable
      - actively developed and supported by Oracle
      - will likely track emerging MySQL features (in line with Oracle's
      other drivers, e.g. Java, PHP, ...)

I submitted a documentation
patch<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/databases/#mysql-db-api-drivers>
 for
this a few months ago, but then I saw this closed
ticket<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/21226>.
So I want to revisit this issue in the hopes of getting a clarifying
policy. Without that I should probably back out the patch.

I know the core issue of GPL remains. But since this discussion began
Oracle has extended their driver to include their own
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/connector-python-django-backend.html>Django

back-end<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/connector-python-django-backend.html>.

Does this create enough separation to get us out of the GPL bind?

--Dan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d84939dd-3428-44d0-ac0a-74aaff8140ff%40googlegroups.com.