Time for me to delurk and cover a few things. I'm not a core developer of
Django, but I honed my skills on the first edition of the Definitive Guide
some years ago and am a co-author of a recently released Django-related
book and it's sequel (Two Scoops of Django).

First off, I'm not certain what Devashish was asking, but that's okay, I'm
going to broach the issue of updating djangobook anyway.

As Camilo mentioned, the control of the web version of the book is in the
hands of the authors. The author with the most recent exercise of control
is Jacob Kaplan-Moss. Since the last pull request was accepted 9 months
ago, there have been 34 pull requests submitted for updating content. At
this moment, the book is a strange mix of 0.96 era and 1.4 era practices,
confusing anyone new to the framework.

Now I'm not Jacob Kaplan-Moss, and I'm not going to put words in his mouth,
but I completely understand why no activity has occurred on djangobook.com.
As a fellow author I can tell you that managing the content on a large,
heavily studied volume is an unbelievable amount of work. Pull requests are
nice, but there are no tests suites for prose.

Note #1: There have also been several 'modernized' forks launched, but as
far as I'm aware, none of them have been consistently maintained.

In any case, as the book is notoriously out-of-date and inconsistently
updated, when I last requested to Jacob that the book needed a warning
around it at the end of July, his response was to grant me commit rights.
Ahem... The warning on the front of djangobook.com, reviewed by a couple of
others, is my contribution. Considering how frequently the book is still
recommended and the front page warning ignored, I've considered adding a
warning bar at the top of every page. That's arguably controversial, and
I've got enough stress in my life to not warrant any more.

Note #2: I did consider managing the pull requests and updating
djangobook.com myself, but the burden it would cause to my already heavy
workload is too much. (Heck, I want open source time right now but that's
my business...)

Note #3: I've considered taking djangobook.com off the wikipedia page at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(web_framework)#Online_resources.
However, as an author of a published Django book myself, it feels weird and
arguably inappropriate. So I'm recusing myself from editing if off that
document.

So where am I going with all this?

Well, I would love to see an updated djangobook.com. I'm tired of people
emailing me questions asking for help with things on which djangobook.com
led them astray. I'm not the person to do this work, to manage this
project, but I think it should be updated and managed by someone. The
project should be managed by someone in the Django community who:

1. Has a deep understanding of Django. This needs has to be proven via
current and previous projects or commits available
2. Has a demonstrable grasp of RestructuredText.
3. Has excellent writing and reading comprehension skills. They need to
have publicly available examples of writing.
4. Displays good pull request management techniques. It's easy to accept
pull requests, it's hard to reject them without hurting people.
5. Should have written technical tutorials available online in HTML format.
6. Can convince Jacob Kaplan-Moss to grant them commit rights.

This _could_ be a GSOC project, or it could be the work of an interested
party. It would be nice to see it happen, just as it would be nice to see
djangobook.com taken off the wikipedia page until it does get updated.

In the meantime, unless no core developer objects, after getting yet
another emailed question about mod_apache deployment (thanks to
http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/chapter12.html); on Monday I'll be adding
a top-of-the-page warning at djangobook.com.

Regards,

Daniel Greenfeld