On 14.04.14 13:51, Adrian Holovaty wrote:
Yesterday at PyCon, about a dozen people from the Django core team had a
lunch meeting to talk about various ideas we should implement. One idea
was to start doing a Django equivalent of Python's PEPs, which would
serve as a formal way to document large new features/changes in Django.

The goal would be to have "design documents" in a single place, rather
than relying on parsing dozens of micro-decisions made in mailing list
threads, Trac tickets, etc. And, importantly, we would only use this for
medium-to-large features, so as not to introduce too much inertia.

We also talked about doing it immediately, just using pull requests on
GitHub, to get some momentum going. No need to build any fancy systems, etc.

Today at the sprints, I went ahead and started drafting how this would
work. Here is a new GitHub repo for DEPs (Django Enhancement Proposals):

https://github.com/django/deps

And here is DEP 1, a draft attempt to document how the process works:

https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/deps/0001.txt

Note the "TODO: Next steps" at the bottom. I'm not exactly sure what the
best process would be once a DEP is formally created. Can somebody with
more familiarity with Python's PEP process provide some suggestions?

I've just fixed a few formatting issues with the files, including renaming it to 0001.rst to use Github's automatic rST rendering.

The new URL is:

  https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/deps/0001.rst

What I also wanted to point out is that the copyright statement at the end of DEP 1 ("This document has been placed in the public domain.") doesn't have any meaning in many legal jurisdiction, e.g. Germany. We should instead promote using the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license which is "giving creators a way to waive all their copyright and related rights in their works to the fullest extent allowed by law".

It's what I have been told comes closest to a "public domain" license that works for global projects like Django. It was specifically created to handle situations like we have with the DEPs now.

More info: http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0 (including FAQ)

Jannis

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/534CB1ED.6040107%40gmail.com.