The mailing list is typically only required for "major" features. I'm not
entirely sure the extent of what you are proposing, but I don't think it'll
need a mailing list discussion -- a Trac ticket is sufficient.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/2c0211ca-d0d1-4ccc-a0b2-e14c508df80d%40googlegroups.com.