On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Hannu Krosing <ha...@krosing.net> wrote:

>  On 06/14/2014 02:40 PM, Tim Graham wrote:
>
> It seems to weird to claim (even best-effort/community) support for a
> database that is no longer supported by its authors. Also, you can always
> use an older version of Django, right? I tend to think you're probably not
> interested in the latest and greatest Django if you're using a really old
> database. My general proposal (for all databases) would be to drop support
> for a database version in the Django release that follows its end-of-life
> date.
>
> Regarding testing, Oracle is currently not on CI, but Shai and I are
> working to add support for 11 and 12. This would actually be the only
> database where we have testing for multiple versions. For the other
> databases we are using whatever version Ubuntu 12.04 ships with (PostgreSQL
> 9.1.13, MySQL 5.5.37).
>

> Heh, The "whatever version Ubuntu 12.04 ships with" test policy seems kind
> of weird (especially if this is meant to go on forever :) )

It's an arbitrary version selection of an old(ish) commonly used Linux
distribution.

In an ideal world: Yes, we'd test against every major distro, and every
major Postgres version installed on that distro, and so on; but we have
limited resources (including the patience to make and configure build boxes
as one of those resources :-)

At some point in the future, long before EOL of Ubuntu 12.04, we'll
probably upgrade the build boxes to 14.04. I'm guessing the introduction of
Marc's PostgreSQL-specific features from his Kickstarter might be the
stimulus for this.

> According to http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/ PostgreSQL 9.1
> was released 2.5 years ago and is in the middle of its 5 year life cycle
> which ends in September 2016.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.1 also lacks lots of newer stuff.
>
> Thanks to ubuntu/debian pg_createcluster  and friends it is actually easy
> to run multiple versions of postgresql (I have everything from 8.4 to
> latest 9.4 beta running in parallel on my laptop), so my suggestion would
> be at least for postgresql to
>
> a) add pgdg repo to ubuntu (
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ )
> b) test with all versions supported by pgdg

Yes, this is possible; the question is whether this is a valuable use of
our limited resources. I can only think of a handful of occasions in
Django's 8 year public history where SQL-handling behaviour in PostgreSQL
has changed in a way that required testing multiple versions - and most of
those occasions were in the 7.X-8.X transition. Django's usage of SQL is
fairly conservative; the areas where PostgreSQL is add features aren't the
areas where Django treads, generally. As a result, there is a reduced
imperative to test all these versions.

This will of course change when we start supporting PostgreSQL-specific
features, so we'll probably have to revisit this - but even then, I suspect
testing an old version (e.g., 9.1) and a recent version (e.g., 9.4) will
probably give us sufficient confidence that the build is working.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq849rV6pu_gX9JaCKOHxj%2BFU9p9U3ii%2BA54VHjF7WncT5Gw%40mail.gmail.com.