On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:41:22 AM UTC+9, Tim Graham wrote:

> I'd like see some community consensus on the best solution for a MySQL
> adapter rather than than have more than one build for MySQL.
>
> I don't know the MySQL ecosystem very well. Naoki, is there no interest
> from MySQLdb in your Python 3 compatibility changes? On the PyPI page it
> says,
> "Python-3.0 will be supported in a future release." but it's been like that
> for several years so who knows if it's actually going to happen.

I've sent pull request to MySQLdb that support Python 3.
(https://github.com/farcepest/MySQLdb1/pull/62 )
But project owner (Andy) doesn't have time to review PRs for now.

MySQLdb is the most popular MySQL driver for long years. But it's Andy's
personal project and development speed is
slowed down for these years. (https://github.com/farcepest )

I hope Andy make MySQLdb as community based project.
But I have not proposed it to him, because I'm afraid my poor English say
something rude.

So I've released my fork (including windows wheel) as mysqlclient.
I'll maintain it until Andy will be back active.

PyMySQL is also popular MySQL driver because it's pure Python and works
well with gevent.
PyMySQL was also inactive for few years. But it switched to new maintainer
(Marcel).
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pymysql-users/hrIYyeGMQwY

After switching, I'm also active committer of PyMySQL.
We've released PyMySQL 0.6 as stable release supporting Python 3.

MySQL-Connector/Python was not so popular (as far as I know).
But 1.2.2 GA was released recently.  It looks nice to me. It may be popular
if Django recommend it.
It's repository was moved from launchpad to
github. https://github.com/oracle/mysql-connector-python

Although it looks nice to me, there are 2 drawbacks.

* They don't put package to PyPI. `--allow-external mysql-connector-python`
option is required for `pip install`.
* Although repository was moved to Github, bug database is still bit
unfriendly (http://bugs.mysql.com/ ).

I think if Oracle will be more familiar with OSS community (accepting pull
requests, using Travis-CI, etc...),
It can replace PyMySQL. Because it's development is more active than us.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/aa5e3c01-9aab-449c-b1c8-defde73065dd%40googlegroups.com.