Oracle has two concepts of database names - the SID or the SERVICE NAME.
I'll gloss over the details, but the SID is the database instance, and the
SERVICE NAME is an alias to an instance or cluster. Currently the
database['NAME'] entry represents the SID unless HOST and PORT are empty,
then the NAME references an entry in the tnsnames.ora file (which can point
to a SERVICE NAME).

The recommended way for connecting to a service is by leaving HOST and PORT
empty, and specifying a NAME which maps to the tnsnames.ora file. There
isn't really a way of connecting to a service purely with django
configuration. I would like to propose an option in the OPTIONS
sub-dictionary called "use_service_name" (or some other option name), which
will tell django to use the NAME as a SERVICE_NAME rather than a SID.

A more explicit solution would be to abandon the NAME field for Oracle, and
require SID or SERVICE_NAME instead. I'm unsure of the implications in
going down that path though.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on this topic so I can put together a
patch if my proposal is accepted.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1f877946-bba8-4947-a1fd-0c4bd061bc7a%40googlegroups.com.