Over the past couple days, I've made some more updates and polish to the
PR. A couple people have looked at it, but some more eyes would be
appreciated as it's hopefully now in a mergeable state. Thanks!

https://github.com/django/django/pull/3128

p.s. It uses flat, non-dict settings. We can continue the debate on other
dict settings in another thread.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/2831b58c-8e05-4efe-9710-f402e3780572%40googlegroups.com.