On 2 October 2014 16:46, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01 Oct 2014, at 14:33, Collin Anderson <cmawebs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In hindsight I regret not having pushed harder for integration of
> staticfiles into core instead, lots of confusion could have been prevented,
> IMO.
> >
> > Is it too late to move to core?
>
> Good question, if we’d left the public API in django.contrib.staticfiles
> following the deprecation policy intact we may be able to move it into
> django.core.files I guess.
>
> If something like that were be tried I would also recommend to fix the
> ambiguity with regard to “media” and “static” by renaming the first to
> “uploads”.

That would be misleading, as it's not just uploads.  For instance, if your
site generated report PDFs, I'd expect them to be stored in MEDIA.

I tend to characterise them as :

static -- What is an integral part of your site. What you keep in source
control, and is required for the site to function.

media -- what happens as a result of your site functioning.

--
Curtis

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAG_XiSAiWOOo9kdts_aejTx3-ypv5yJdHe1Bscr8PYz7gPCEGw%40mail.gmail.com.