This discussion got a little off track, and I'd like to bring it back to
the original purpose. Which SQL functions should we implement when the
aggregate/annotation refactor lands? I'll take the output of this
discussion and create a ticket in trac once we've at least got a start on a
minimal subset. I'll start with a set of functions that should be common
enough to warrant inclusion. Please add to this list (or suggest removals
from the list).

- Coalesce
- ToLower/Lower
- ToUpper/Upper
- Length
- Case-When / IIF
- Substring

I think this set is fairly ubiquitous, and should have good support from
all the built in backends that Django supports. More esoteric functions or
structures (like analytic functions) can always be implemented in libraries
or possibly a contrib app if the community deems it worthwhile.

Thanks,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/abac32f9-8e73-4a2a-9b61-a8ab5b387ca2%40googlegroups.com.