We can change the internal type of SlugField for option 1 based upon
whether or not the field should be unicode. Whether or not an existing
backend stores SlugField in an ascii char datatype shouldn't dictate
whether we go with SlugField(unicode=True) or UnicodeSlugField(). Let me
rephrase the question as, Do we want to provide backends enough information
so that they can decide to store an ascii slug field in an ascii char field
(e.g. varchar) and a unicode slug field in a unicode char field (e.g
nvarchar)?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAGdCwBsZjmRYxNteX3aA-n%2BLed2Bw%2B-HCnnCisC26%3DXojVjtwQ%40mail.gmail.com.