Hi,

Just noted this thread, and I have two points:

1) Using the migration name in the index isn't really "predictable", and isn't
even completely stable (the name changes when migrations are squashed), unless
I'm missing something.

2) The current practice of identifying indexes by the columns they use is
sufficient now, but may not suffice when we have finer control over indexes
(Marc
Tamlyn is writing the DEP[1] for this). I can very easily see, for example,
uses for two partial indexes on the same field (on PG, where partial indexes
exist).

I'm not sure we need fully predictable index names now, but my hunch is that
we are going to need them down the road, and an explicitly-set suffix is a lot
closer to what we'll need than a random one.

My 2 cents,
        Shai.

[1] https://github.com/django/deps/pull/6/files