Using Python 3.4.2 and Django @stable/1.8.x (installed just moments before
this writing), I created a model with a "name" field, then created a
migration for it. Moments after, I added an "age" field to the model,
deleted the 0001_initial.py migration, deleted __pycache__ directories in
my entire project, deleted any *.py[cod] files in my project, then ran
makemigrations again (the goal being to create a fresh 0001 migration with
the latest fields again, since there is no SQLite3 database file (I
verified this as well)). When I do this, Django creates the same 0001
migration it did the first time, then creates a 0002 migration to add the
new field. Firstly, how is this even possible? Second, is this a known
issue in 1.8? I've never experienced this bug before, and it's always been
my M.O. on a new project to recreate a 0001 migration when I'm first
working on the models (to avoid having 30 migrations before the app is even
on a dev server).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/bfb1f2cd-b2be-4a16-a882-ecc6695865c9%40googlegroups.com.