I agree: providing a default login template would help. Getting started with
contrib apps should be as easy as possible.

However the current proposal is backwards incompatible for users who define the
login template in one of their apps that comes before django.contrib.auth in
INSTALLED_APPS (if I remember the priority order correctly).

I don't think that prevents us from making the change but it should be pointed
out in the release notes.

A more backwards-compatible alternative is to ship a default_login.html
template and use select_template to fallback to that template when login.html
isn't found.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/E6284B83-2B24-4A12-8EB6-F607CBE52C3A%40polytechnique.org.