On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Marcin Nowak <marcin.j.no...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Before v1.7 there were no migrations and Django was quite useful (for
> example with South as an 3rd party app). What happened then?
>
> I think that migrations can be decoupled from core and you just don't want
> to do this for some unknown reason.
> I'll prepare a pull request if it will not be dropped because of some kind
> of ethos.

As the person who started this thread over a year ago with the motivation
of making migrations support optional, I can definitively say that
migrations will not be removed from Django. Any pull request attempting to
do so will be declined. There are certain portions of Django that can (and
likely should) be decoupled, the database API (including migrations) is not
one of those pieces. One of the many reasons for it to remain in core is
that it's useful being able to modify the models that ship with Django.
E.g. increasing the size of user name field.

Regards,
Michael Manfre

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAGdCwBvKVPhERYzSpP9AZ6%2Bd83ehiZhC%2BUqMXf9SRQzw_W%2B5%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.