I actually think this is a great idea. In my mind it parallels Drupal's
"block" idea. (This is actually what I keep hoping DjangoCMS is.)

That stated, it is more of a construct. I think a great idea is to make an
extension module.

I don't know how long you've been in this community, but Django is now
quite stable and people rely on their APIs. Your bold ideas really need to
be tested by fire before they go into the Django proper. There's been lots
of discussion about a year ago to remove/reduce a lot of the contrib.

Being in Django is where things go to die. Once an API is released to the
public, it takes a fair amount of work to remove/change it. You don't even
want to know how long it took to get schema migrations into Django. South
had been the defacto way for quite a few years. That stated, Andrew had to
make some changes to South due to design decisions that were made earlier
in South. Before that, there was other projects like django-evolution
(which just got an update 2 months ago).

So, I followed the Drupal group for a while. The thing the Django community
really needs is a couple good opinionated groups of how to put together a
good Django site. Drupal has Lullabot (who have quite a few core devs on
staff). Django is not going to be the people telling people how to use
Django. You seem like a great person to start this for Django. Note that
you'll have to have a thick skin and create some pretty great sites in your
own right to prove out your ideas to others. You'll also need to get your
ideas out via things like blog posts, tutorials, and podcasts.

I would like the Caktus, DjangoCMS, FeinCMS, etc people to do the same.
This would help people to see some different ideas on how to use and extend
Django.

Joe Tennies
tenn...@gmail.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CACiOJ6uz5f42vSQ_5A%2BU_GyUHSPuNrO6vWahGpzdbSH9cusFiQ%40mail.gmail.com.