On Monday, 1 June 2015 18:09:00 UTC+2, Javier Guerra wrote:

> I think that Enrique means that having "the same" template language is
> a non-goal.  the "cognitive burden" of two languages is not so heavy;

I really don't agree with this. Think of beginners learning how to build a
modern website. Either they learn both Django templates and handlebars.js,
or just ONE language. Of course the cognitive burden is much heavier than
learning only one language.

> and since these two environments are so different, there would be
> different considerations that make some features unpractical on one
> side or the other; or maybe some choice could be "the best" on one and
> too awkward or badly supported on the other.

I don't think the environments are so different. Unless you are breaking
best practices and doing ORM calls in your custom template tags the point
of both languages are the same: Take a dictionary and turn it into HTML by
looping and including subtemplates. It's a very similar problem.

> personally, i mostly agree: i do use templating on JS, and it doesn't
> look at all like Django templates.  That means sometimes i render some
> things in the server, other things in the front end, and a few things
> (very few) on both, leading to mostly duplicate code.  would it be
> nice to have some code that works equally well on either side? yes,
> but it's a relatively small gain.

Having one language would make things like this much easier. And as with
must easy to use things, you would likely use it more often, leading to
sites that are more responsive and easier to use.

if "using the same language" was so important, we would all be using
> node.js...

Did you see Geoff Schmids presentation on Meteor.js on DjangoCon 2012?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34_oKFx43O4

People are switching to JS just because of "isomorphism", being able to
avoid duplicate code.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/52c26579-dc75-4089-b1f2-d38a09300875%40googlegroups.com.