Hi folks,

I've talked to Marc about fixing the case where a formset will raise
an uncaught ValidationError when instantiated with a missing or broken
management form. This has caused us great pain when dealing with
vulnerability scanners that tend to POST random crap to each endpoint
they find as it means formsets—unlike forms—are not safe to
instantiate with untrusted data.

Now wrapping each and every formset instance in a try/except block and
having to manually handle the fallback case is not fun. But as Marc
pointed out, forgetting a management form is one of the most common
pitfalls people run into when dealing with formsets.

Therefore I propose making the management form optional. The only case
that requires an explicit TOTAL_FORMS variable are forms that consist
of nothing but checkboxes (as unchecked checkboxes are not included in
POST data). In other cases (including all ModelFormSets as they always
contain a hidden PK field) we can deduct the number of submitted forms
from the data itself.

Ideally I would get rid of the management form entirely and document
that a form that is nothing but checkboxes is an unsupported case and
that a workaround would be to include an extra hidden field. Honza may
or may not kill me for suggesting that.

For now, I would like to make the formset optional and document the
cases where you need to include it. If included, it would take
precedence to keep the existing deployments working.

Thoughts?

--
Patryk Zawadzki
I solve problems.