I think we can link https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/56 to
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14286.

The problem is not so much how to create an UnsignedAutoField or a BigAutoField
which is rather trivial, but how to deal with foreign keys pointing to them and
how to migrate them. As far as I know it's the only case where changing one
field requires migrations in multiple apps, and since you don't necessarily
have the source repo available for them, it's not clear how we can handle it.

There is also a design issue, do we want AutoField + UnsignedAutoField +
BigAutoField + UnsignedBigAutoField and their ForeignKey counterparts? That's
ugly IMO. We could have AutoField(storage=models.IntegerField) which is
slightly better, or we could wait to have nailed the Virtual/Composite API and
AutoField would become virtual and use the same API as composite fields to pick
its backing field (e.g. id = BigIntegerFIeld(); pk = AutoField(concrete='id')).

All in all, I'm not for a wontfix, but as with any low digits tickets a proper
fix is far from easy.

--
Loïc

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/76CE4389-DE36-4FBA-9E49-02ED5AFAFF9D%40gmail.com.