The django-contrib-postgres JSONField takes advantage of JSON being a
native type that allows it's data fields to be used by the ORM, instead of
just a text field that wraps json.dumps() and json.loads(). All of the core
supported backends seem to have some flavor of native JSON support (MS SQL
is adding native JSON in SQL Server 2016). I haven't investigated whether
or not they could be sanely implemented as a common field. That might be a
worthwhile change to target for Django 1.10, guarded by a DatabaseFeature
for all of the earlier versions of each database that don't support it.

Regards,
Michael Manfre

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM, <lza...@ucs.br> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know why this feature will be only available on postgres and
> not as a Field for any database, like this product? This Field would be
> very usefull for many users I think.
>
> https://github.com/bradjasper/django-jsonfield
>
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.9/#django-contrib-postgres
>
> By.