I'm not super convinced that form.instance is widely better than
form.save(commit=False).
That's even more true if we're not sufficiently convinced by it that we'd
be deprecating the existing style.

It would:

* Promote making views making in-place changes on the instance -> doesn't
tend to be a good style.
* Expose the not-quite-an-instance without m2m attributes in what feels
like a more casual way than the more verbose form.save(commit=False).
* Allow for (mostly) erroneous use of form.instance.save()

Don't feel that strongly about it, and wouldn't be able to make a proper
judgement call in the absence of a pull request, but it's not terribly
clear to me what we're gaining here.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/a29ef366-4179-4ca9-865d-baac283a5a5b%40googlegroups.com.