Hi,

Raising this here as suggested by Tim on this
bug: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25374, with discussion also on
django users
here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-users/lsDP5oUWOsw

The underlying bug is that ModelAdmin checks are run against the class not
the instance - which means that checks can fail when the code actually
works. This sort of false positive feels bad to me.

The proposed PR changes the ModelAdmin checks to validating the created
instance that will be registered rather than the ModelAdmin class itself.
This mirrors how Django actually uses the ModelAdmin objects, and means
that validation checks that previously threw false positives now pass.

Does this change make sense, or is there something subtle that I'm missing?
More broadly, am I right in thinking that false-positive system check
errors are a bad thing, and so we should aim to minimise/eliminate them,
even at the cost of potential false negatives?

Cheers,

Malcolm

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/411901cb-7e72-4a94-99ef-8d6cbc24f4d6%40googlegroups.com.