On Monday, 7 September 2015 15:05:35 UTC+1, Aymeric Augustin wrote:

> :
>
>> First I will say that most of this pull request is a port of
>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/1037 which I ported more or less
>> blindly.
>>

> As far as I can tell, this previous PR was never discussed on
> django-developers. Someone threw the code on GitHub, that's all; you can't
> make any assumptions about its suitability for inclusion in Django.

The original ticket is at https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/13910 where
it was Accepted 5 years ago, that original PR done two years ago, and then
rebased/worked on more this summer. That ticket also suggested the creation
of "StreamingTemplateResponse" ;-) There was a brief discussion
at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/django-developers/13910/django-developers/bpu5EHjnjDs/locX-gWm8PoJ

and brief side mention
at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/django-developers/13910/django-developers/OubwBVo_gxw/Avh1pdbpPMYJ

– certainly nothing major, no.

I think stream=False sounds like a good idea, I definitely wouldn't want to
duplicate all the Mixin/Views for streaming/non-streaming.

>From a performance point of view, I wrote a blog post about how not using
streaming templates caused our entire server to fall over and what I wrote
to work around the lack of streaming templates:
https://www.mysociety.org/2015/06/01/django-streaminghttpresponse-json-html/
– it's certainly not a magic bullet but in certain circumstances would be
very useful :-)

ATB,
Matthew

I'm aware of the irony of me making this argument. I set a bad precedent
> when I added StreamingHttpResponse. I didn't think of
> HttpResponse(stream=True) at the time. The prospect of having 25
> StreamingFooBar classes in Django makes me realize this wasn't a great
> idea. Let's learn from this mistake. (The stakes are a bit low to consider
> fixing it through a deprecation path, though.)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/da7ea431-0f47-45c1-a852-96650703fc29%40googlegroups.com.
  • reques... Tim Graham
    • R... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... Yann Fouillat
        • ... Aymeric Augustin
          • ... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Matthew Somerville
          • ... Yann Fouillat
    • R... Tom Christie
      • ... Yann Fouillat