On September 20, 2015 at 7:26:09 PM, Alex Gaynor (alex.gay...@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Unfortunately 24k iterations is behind where we'd want to be
> (~100k iterations, or a factor of 4, last I checked).

If I remember, a key thing was we wanted the PBKDF2 iterations to be much
higher than they were because they hadn't kept up with improvements (or
adjusted at all at) but we didn't want to just jump from some low amount (20k?)
straight to 100k in one release. The 25% number was, if I recall, an attempt
to move us to that point over time, so it was purposely chosen to be faster
than CPU increases because if it was equal to that we'd never catch up to where
we should be.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/etPan.55ff4179.5b345c86.ead3%40Draupnir.home.