Having worked through the code of several Django nosql/alternative database
backend libraries, forks, etc...

I've noticed that that one of the biggest challenges they run into, is
'conforming' to many of the things Django expects these lowest layers to do.

I opened this ticket https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25265 to begin
getting feedback on an initial idea for how to 'fix' the problem.
Since then I've had further time to ponder the problem and while it still
seems to me that the best mechanism is to draw a line between the 'upper'
and 'lower' layers of Django,
I'm no longer 100% sure the correct place to enable this is the queryset
via an additional method, because I've realized that this is not just an
opportunity to get NoSQL databases into Django, but also an opportunity to
finally provide support for alternative Python ORMs, such as SQLAlchemy.

I've been digging around the code for this so I dont mind writing up the
code for this, but there is the big question of 'where to decouple' things.
Initial feedback in the
thread https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25265#comment:4 has raised the
suggestion that moving one layer further up may be the right place to go.
It would be very helpful for me to get extra input from Django developers
familiar with the QuerySet and Query, before I start writing, so I would
love to hear feedback on the idea.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ad4200bc-086d-4b23-a5b6-49e412ac55ae%40googlegroups.com.