Yeah, I definitely see the need for it, and things like making the
webserver transparently change the paths isn't going to work since it can't
rewrite output. At least we can rename it and call it request['root_path']
or something.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uo66Kix5HPdPH3WSoo4NQYOeHhDPu09Vamfup8iUSN2tg%40mail.gmail.com.