On Friday, December 18, 2015, Andrew Godwin <and...@aeracode.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Mark Lavin <markdla...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','markdla...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
>> > You seem to be assuming I'm here to foist a brand new middle layer on
>> everyone; I'm not. I'm here to make one that fits neatly into Django, that
>> I think most people will want to turn on, and that provides a lot of value
>> in exchange for a slight round-trip performance hit - my goal is sub-5ms,
>> and preferably sub-3. If it starts being 10/20/30 milliseconds of cost,
>> then we'll have to change our approach until it's acceptable.
>>
>> Yes that's how I read this plan and that's why I think it needs some
>> clarity. I didn't mean for this to turn into a long discussion about
>> performance. This was meant to be a discussion about the transition plan.
>> To go back to my original message, I see no gain for existing WSGI
>> applications to have this on by default, even using the in-memory
>> channel, when they upgrade to 1.10 (or whenever this lands). The current
>> plan reads as though it will.
>>

> I agree - that was my original intention and how the current version of
> channels works, but it's no longer my plan, and I should update the
> integration plan to be more specific and discuss things like introducing
> different HttpRequest subclasses other than WSGIRequest.

My concern (and critisism) was about running everything through channels.

Back to the original question about release schedule. Is the 1.8 and 1.9
external package going to require changes to Django core? If so, are the
changes going to be substantial?

For 1.10, my vote goes to time based releases, that is, we don't decide at
this point what must be in 1.10.

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALMtK1G-bC56UR-SKQfWujSxb%3DLe4WXedYj3bGRasfFkDWLn0g%40mail.gmail.com.