Hi Doug,

On 12/18/2015 04:35 PM, Doug Epling wrote:
> I filed bug report
>
>     #25952 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25952>
>
> but apparently it was in the wrong place.

In case it wasn't clear, it wasn't in the wrong place because it was
documentation-related, it was in the wrong place because Trac tickets
need to be focused and have clearly-bounded goals such that it's obvious
to everyone involved when the ticket has been solved and can be closed.
It doesn't work well for large-scale open-ended improvement efforts
(these should result in many Trac tickets, each one specific and concrete).

>  And I referenced this post
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/django-users/documentation/django-users/1qHviCZMPJA/_8qVb0YYdhAJ>,
> but I was thinking it was this group ... I wonder how that happened?

Seems like the user's confusion in that django-users thread could be
addressed with a relatively simple patch to the contributing docs.
Perhaps you could make a pull request?

> So I am hereby suggesting that the road map for the v. 2.0 release
> include revamped documentation.

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion. Since Django is
developed by volunteers, there are basically two paths to making a
suggestion a reality:

1) Convince at least one of the existing volunteer contributors that
your suggestion is more important than the other improvements to Django
they are already working on. In this case, this will likely require more
hard evidence than you have provided so far that there is a serious
problem with the documentation that requires "revamping" them (as
opposed to iteratively improving them, which happens daily).

2) Spearhead the work yourself and clearly demonstrate its value in the
process.

I think that everyone here would gladly welcome whatever time you are
able to put into helping improve the docs.

> It should begin as soon as possible with the somewhat standard best
> practice of collecting "find what you were looking for" or "was this
> page helpful" or "rate this page on its organization, clarity, brevity,
> etc." data on every single existing page.

It certainly seems to me that data like this could be really useful in
deciding where to focus documentation improvements. It should be
possible to add such a feature to the online docs. I expect it would
require significant design and development work to put it in place,
which gets us back to options (1) and (2) above.

(By the way, this specific idea -- provide a feedback mechanism on the
online docs -- _is_ the sort of clearly-bounded task that would make a
good Trac ticket, though it might be best to see what feedback others
here have first.)

> It might also be helpful to evaluate how different audiences access the
> docs.  Tutorials are great -- module and class libraries, not so much.

Are you saying this in general, or specifically in reference to the
Django docs?

If the latter, how specifically do you think the module and class
library documentation could be improved?

> With resulting user feedback along with expert categorization of
> documentation use cases, as with any writing exercise, there must be an
> outline.  The existing outline might be a good place to start.
>
> Oh, and those pesky deadlines, when is v. 2.0 slated for release?

2.0 is scheduled for release in December 2017. Between now and then
there will also be 1.10 and 1.11 releases, in Aug 2016 and Apr 2017
respectively, as outlined in
https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2015/jun/25/roadmap/

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5674A416.8080103%40oddbird.net.