HI Doug, I can relate to what you are saying, I had a similar experience
when trying to find a reference for the generic FormView. Issuing a P.R. to
improve it is on my BLOTTD (big list of things to do). I was interviewing a
candidate last week who knows I'm a big fan of Django, and wanted to throw
a curveball, so I asked what they thought the biggest shortcoming of Django
is. Without hesitation, they mentioned that their current team (which is
just starting to learn Django) had trouble with the documentation. When I
followed up, they mentioned it all seemed to be by example, rather than
reference, and both are useful.

It is a big fish to fry, as Tim G mentioned, but I think it can be improved
incrementally. I've used the Django Documentation for several years, and
this is the first I've heard of the "topics", "reference" and "how-to".

As someone who used PHP for years, one thing I always felt they got right
was documentation. That may just be the way my mind works, however.

This is a long way of saying, I'm interesting in helping out.

Regards,

Tim

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/025ed576-59e1-45cf-9cbe-be11ee56115d%40googlegroups.com.