> In my opinion one of the most important goals for Django is to make
> deploying tiny projects securely and easily a trivial matter. We
> aren't there right now.

+1

I'm maintaining three such sites (my wife's, my consultancy's and mine). I'm
clearly not going to bother configuring a CDN. I deployed them with
whitenoise
— which isn't nearly as well known as it should be. If I hadn't known about
it, I suspect I would have rolled a poor man's solution to serve static
files
in Python, because that's the easiest when deploying to a PaaS.

Regarding the question of media files raised earlier in this thread, I think
we shouldn't attempt to cache all existing files on start-up because even
small sites could easily have tens of thousands e.g. a forum that stores
users' avatars. We should look up the file at each query, which will be
slightly less efficient, but functional and not subject to scalability
issues.

For both static and media files, we care about simplicity and security. It
appears that whitenoise gives us great performance for static files as well,
which is good. If we can't have it for media files, it's still fine.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CANE-7mV_KwtmtgV9Oow4fgf9CaSPO4PsE_NL-NEqbOGC1kfk_A%40mail.gmail.com.