Customizing the encoder (or even using DjangoJSONEncoder by default) isn't
so bad.

I'm less convinced about the usefulness of customizing the decoder - once
you've encoded the data into JSON any additional type information is lost,
so casting back to python primitives is always going to need to be handled
explicitly.

Being able to set field values that contain eg datetimes *could* be a
useful shortcut, but it only makes sense to me if we make it clear that
values passed into the JSON field will only ever be stored/retrieved as
their JSON primitive representations.

Cheers,

  Tom

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/3fe79e25-bbab-484a-abd5-051e60fcc189%40googlegroups.com.