Here is an accepted ticket for autocomplete:
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14370

The "improved search" seems like what we already have when using
raw_id_fields so it seems like it should be easy to include as part of the
autocomplete UI. I don't see think it needs to be a separate option.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/2b592a9e-378e-4f41-9380-d72cf00af47f%40googlegroups.com.