When we were teaching MelbDjango, I did start by writing views in the root urls.py .... this avoided students having to create a bunch of files and apps and references and imports and...

For some of the students transitioning from PHP, it was much easier to deal with only learning one thing at a time...

However, we didn't go quite so far as that example... still using "startproject" etc.

--
Curtis