The *django.contrib.postgres* docs state:

There is no fundamental reason why (for example) a contrib.mysql module
> does not exist

*Well...* over the past year and a bit I've been developing Django-MySQL.
It has a ton of features specific to MySQL and/or MariaDB. For a quick tour
of the features, see the exposition in the
documentation: https://django-mysql.readthedocs.org/en/latest/exposition.html
(it's not all suitable for Django core, some is kinda hacky (but well
tested!))

At DUTH in November I talked with Josh Smeaton about posting a suggestion
here for *django.contrib.mysql*. Since then, I've simply been
lazy/forgetful, but now I'm here getting round to it.

I'm also a bit motivated by my recent completion of its *JSONField* for
MySQL 5.7+ which is very similar to the *contrib.postgres* one, copying and
adapting large parts of code from Marc Tamlyn's work. We all know how much
everyone loves JSON these days. If anything, this could be a core field
rather than a *contrib* one - Oracle and SQLite also have JSON capabilities
now. JSON everywhere!

Anyway... what's the interest in *django.contrib.mysql*? And where woudl we
go from here...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ed9245ea-f908-4c1c-91ad-cb94f0147959%40googlegroups.com.