It seems like you have a pretty good grasp on the problems and possible
solutions. I'm not familiar enough with storage backends and FileFields to
provide much guidance so hopefully someone else can comment. Regarding the
linked line in the save method which forces forward slashes, it seems that
the FileSystemStorage should be doing that, rather than the base Storage
class. It looks like Storage tries to do too much, so pushing some
behaviour back down to FileSystemStorage seems correct. Again though, we
have to be wary of backwards compatibility. You could offer opt-in to more
correct behaviour while deprecating the status quo. Something like a
`normalize_slashes = True` that can be flipped to False for brand new code.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/95ac5a1a-5443-4adf-9fb0-0570f9d8cdb6%40googlegroups.com.