There are backwards-compatibility concerns as a leading dot can no longer
be used in a template name, though if developers are following the advice
about template namespacing it wouldn't be a problem.

Still, I am not sure if the Django Template Language should evolve new
features like this. Is there any prior art in Jinja2? I couldn't find any
based on this answer:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2180247/does-the-jinja2-templating-language-have-the-concept-of-here-current-director

I see you created a pull request: https://github.com/django/django/pull/6318

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/dc04291b-e48b-4033-b628-56ed6751f643%40googlegroups.com.