> On Mar 22, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
>
> I do think encrypting the Redis channel layer is something we should offer:
> Redis out of the box doesn't do transport-layer encryption, which is going to
> make Channels a hard sell to anyone with any for of regulatory/compliance
> requirements. [1]

I don’t know a whole lot about the design of channels, so ymmv but I tend to be
a bit nervous on trying to implement a “mini” replacement to something like TLS
because it’s fairly tricky to get right. Even using something like fernet, you
still have things like replay attacks and such that may be possible (unless
channels design prevents it) that TLS already has baked in protection for.

It is true that reds doesn’t do TLS out of the box, but adding it is not really
*that* hard, you typically just bind redis to a localhost only port (which I
think it does by default) and then install stunnel bound to a public port to
“unwrap” the TLS before passing it on to redis. On the client side you may need
to also run stunnel to “wrap” the stream with TLS if your client does not
support it, but redis-py supports TLS’d connections natively so, at least from
Python, it’s not any harder to connect to a TLS’d Redis server.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1706B9DC-7479-43CD-897B-330F1E9C2F43%40stufft.io.