On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:

> On 05/10/2016 10:39 AM, Andrew Godwin wrote:
> >  - Being almost purely an addition to Django, even though it technically
> > inserts a new layer, makes it more well-suited to live externally than
> > many other features. While the external package will have to
> > monkey-patch a few things, it'll be relatively minor.
>
> Are there small changes that could be made in Django 1.10 that would
> reduce the monkeypatching burden? In the channels repo it seems the only
> remaining monkeypatch in hacks.py is for staticfiles' runserver; are
> there other monkeypatches I'm missing?
>
> The staticfiles case is a known problem with management command
> overriding, and I don't have a good solution. I guess it's a choice
> between monkeypatching vs having to document a required ordering of
> staticfiles vs channels in INSTALLED_APPS.

Yes, that's the main one, and I'll probably leave that in place. There are
a couple of fixes I'd like to get in to the sessions objects so it's easier
to bring in predefined keys, and untangle BaseHandler a bit, but they're
not super important so I'll get them in before the beta if I can; if not,
the current approach works well enough.

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uqc%3D6h2EHVwiEvr7NZn9NZRKGVx7Nyr_axLbteyQyW%2BCg%40mail.gmail.com.