On 05/11/2016 11:30 AM, Tim Graham wrote:
> I'm not sure about how common the need for custom widget templates are.
> Speaking for djangoproject.com and a few other small projects I
> maintain, I don't think these projects would make use of them but maybe
> if the feature is there, I might realize it would help in some places.

It's certainly not always needed; maybe "basic" is too strong a word.
Better to say that it's a very useful intermediate technique, especially
for more complex widgets with detailed UI needs.

We're not only talking about overriding templates for built-in widgets,
we're also talking about the ability to define your own custom widgets
with their own templates. If only the built-in widget templates are
available, you can't do that either. So given that templating is now the
norm for how to build widgets, we'd effectively be making it impossible
to create your own widget classes without changing the default form
renderer.

I'd flip it around and make the comparison with "standalone use of the
forms library without a configured TEMPLATES setting," which seems to be
the competing feature: is that really _more_ common than custom form
widgets? How many projects do you maintain that need that?

> What's your proposal for changing the default TEMPLATES? Using Jinja2 or
> DTL?

At some point maybe we can adopt Jinja2 as a required dependency. Until
then, the default startproject template can't use it, so I think DTL is
the only real option.

> Since others have supported the idea, feel free to push your ideas to
> the branch -- I won't be working on that branch for the rest of today.

Ok, will do.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/57337178.5040003%40oddbird.net.