> I'd be curious to hear from any third-party package maintainers how they
feel about it.

I've not found testing against master to be particularly helpful, as it's
not apparent if an issue is substantial or not, without putting in work.

The alpha releases *are* tremendously helpful for having a pre-release to
start working against,
although I don't know what a good process is for feeding back between third
party packages that are updating, and the Django team.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing a surprising number of test failures
<https://github.com/tomchristie/django-rest-framework/pull/4144> for REST
framework against 1.10a, although I suspect that may will be simple enough
to resolve.

Another thing that might help is some guidance on ensuring that travis
builds are properly displaying pending deprecation warnings - that'd go
some way towards helping package maintainers get ready for a new release
before it lands.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/65364570-3763-499f-a12b-f4102c5f1c6c%40googlegroups.com.