It's not perfect but given that it's an inherent limitation of HTML checkboxes,
I don't think that documenting that limitation is that big a deal.

forms.BooleanField(required=False) feels like an odd combination to me in any
case. One way we could potentially help users would be to error in that case
unless an alternate widget is used (We could recommend select or whatever it is
we use for NullBooleanField in this case)

We have the same issue in REST framework serializers FWIW. As with Django<1.10
we treat omission as omission, not blank. And yes, we have to special-case
boolean omission.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/14856bb1-9c31-42a5-8f16-e8da8222b09d%40googlegroups.com.