In my opinion, there is two point. First, core django should allow
different url resolver. Second, these different url resolver should
start as third party package.

Without first point, people need to hack django if they want to
experiment new kind of resolver. Like one providing typecasting or a
faster one or a localized one. And the resolver isn't "loosely
coupled" unlike most of the other part of django.

For the second point, I have a simple reason. Choosing between the
rail or the werkzeug syntax is bike shedding. It is not a technically
choice. It's an aesthetic one. There is no right answer, only lost
time.

> On 15/09/16 16:37, Curtis Maloney wrote:
>>
>> Somewhere I have code to provide a "parse" based URL router.
>>
>> Will dig it up now 1.10 has has shipped
>

> Ah, found it...
>
> So, here is a gist of a sample of using parse
> (https://pypi.org/project/parse/) instead of regex.
>
> https://gist.github.com/funkybob/3d90c57a837bc164d8b402a1c5b95a8b
>
> Since you can register extra type names, and those types can cast also, it
> covers a lot of things some people expect [but don't get] from regex.

>> On 14 September 2016 6:38:20 PM AEST, Florian Apolloner
>> <f.apollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Emil,
>>
>>     On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 9:50:22 PM UTC+2, Emil Stenström
>>     wrote:
>>
>>         and more experienced users are expected to switch over to using
>>         regexes directly to get the exact behavior they want.
>>

>>     How so? Personally I would use this quite quickly since a few
>>     builtin types would cover 99%. While I can write regex in sleep
>>     nowadays, I still find it kinda tedious to redefine what "slug"
>>     means in every URL I wanna match something… I am sure others think
>>     the same.
>>

>>         Beginners likely won't look at all the different options and
>>         choose one based on it's merits, they'll pick whatever their
>>         teacher suggests they use. Also installing an extra package when
>>         setting up django feels a bit strange.
>>

>>     I think the eco system is far enough to support that, after all
>>     south lived long and well as external package. Either way, DEP or
>>     not, having an implementation out there would definitely help.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Florian
>>

>> --
>>
>> --