This looks like a useful addition.

I'd also like to chip in with a DRY pattern I've been using in all my
projects which might be worth considering.

To take your example:

def url_tree(regex, *urls):
    return url(regex, include(patterns('', *urls)))

urlpatterns = [
>  url_tree('articles/',
>   url('2003/', views.special_case_2003),
>    url_tree('<int:year>/',
>     url('', views.year_archive),
>      url_tree('<int:month>/',
>       url('', views.month_archive),
>       url('<int:day>/', views.article_detail),
>      ),
>     ),
>    ),
>  ]

So long as the proposal doesn't make the above url_tree pattern impossible
(or harder to do) then I think it's a positive addition. (I have projects
which have very interesting urls patterns)

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Inkscape Website, django 1.8

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ab9eb20f-3d91-4a6f-9905-280909ba0abd%40googlegroups.com.